Monday, March 21, 2022

thinking about directions

This is the first stage of a landscape. Its from a photo that I took from inside the moving car after it snowed. I started with a red covered canvas because I wanted to stay in monochrome, but I coudn't help trying to warm it up. I put the photo through some experiments in Photoshop and came up with a posterized version which I used to paint freehand but using the photo as a reference. The painting is the same size as the landscape that I did before of Los Molinos, in 'plein aire,' You get a different feeling when you are outside and working directly from life. But hopefully this will be a painterly painting, interesting for its shapes and colors, not just its subject matter. The thinking I'm doing these days is to go in 3 different directions. It will probably prove to be too many and too much. Appealing to different 'audiences.' They are landscapes, never a strong area for me, but now that I know more about painting I know they don't have to be all boring green. Then nudes, because I'm starting to go to a Bellas Artes taller in Madrid. Drawing and painting figures from life has always been a favorite activity and brought good results. Third is the expressionist abstracts, the way that my work is really heading. And I forgot the Daily Paintings and white faces... So much to do in so little time...

No comments: